Early Childhood Development Commission
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work on formulating messages that reinforce the concept that the first years in a child's life are critical to their emotional, physical and mental development, and explore means of getting that message out so that the public may avail themselves of the information if they so choose; and
- Work with appropriate entities within the community to disseminate essential information about early brain development; and
- Develop a local strategy for voluntarily placing greater emphasis and value upon sound parenting and the critical importance of the parents in early childhood education; and
- Seek ways to further the voluntary education campaign to improve quality of early care and education programs; and
- Make recommendations to the Assembly on use of any funds obtained from grants; and
- Develop partnerships with churches, nonprofits, charitable and religious organizations, business, the education community and government to develop the message on quality childhood development and disseminate it to appropriate communities within the Borough that choose to avail themselves of the information.
Meetings are scheduled on the third Wednesday of the month in February, May, August, and November at 12:00 p.m. This information will be routinely updated to reflect any upcoming meetings. To watch live meetings, citizens may access them through the links below. Please note once the meeting has started a live red button will be available. If you are having issues, try refreshing your web browser.
- A meeting has been called for Wednesday, January 17, 2024 at 12:00 p.m. in the Mona Lisa Drexler Assembly Chambers, Juanita Helms Administration Center, 907 Terminal Street, Fairbanks, AK.
Citizens' Comments A
Agenda items not scheduled for public hearing
Citizens' Comments B
Items other than those appearing on the agenda
How to Provide Testimony
In-Person or Telephonic Testimony
Once an agenda is published, citizens may sign up to testify in person or telephonically by doing one of the following:
- Calling the Clerk's Office at 907-459-1401 no later than 11:00 a.m. on the day of the meeting;
- Completing the online sign-up form no later than 11:00 a.m. on the day of the meeting; or
- Signing up in person before the meeting has been called to order.
During the meeting, the Chair will invite citizens to the table or ask the Clerk to call citizens when it is their turn to speak. Please note the following:
- Phone calls to citizens will come from an out-of-state number.
- If a phone call is not answered, the Chair will move to the next citizen who has signed up.
- Testimony will be heard in the order in which citizens have signed up.
- Each citizen will have three minutes to provide testimony.
- Other citizens attending in person may provide comments after those who have signed up.
|Commissioner||Contact Information||Term Expiration|
|Joanne Spears||(907) 456-3171||12/23|
|Pam Walker, Vice-Chair||(907) 750-8239||12/23|
|Meredith Maple, Chair||(502) 337-5897||12/24|
|Leigh Ann Bolin||907-843-1539||12/25|
Citizens are invited to submit a completed Boards/Commissions Application (PDF) to the Mayor's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To qualify, applicants must: